Assignment 2: RA 1: Community Windshield Survey
In this assignment, you will conduct a windshield survey of your community.
Collecting assessment data on the physical environment is referred to as a “windshield survey.” The windshield survey reflects what one can view from a car window as one drives through a community or during a walking tour of areas where cars are limited. The driving or walking tour allows the community nurse to make observations of various community components including but not limited to:
- Open spaces
- Cultural diversity
- Grocery stores
- Health care facilities
- Post offices
Conduct a windshield survey of your community, focusing specifically on anything that influences community health. Compile your findings into a spreadsheet or document.
Then, analyze your findings and create a 12- to 15-slide Microsoft PowerPoint presentation in which you:
- Describe the community you have selected for your windshield survey and rationale for selecting this community.
- Describe the various cultural, ethnic, and religious groups you are observing.
- Identify and explain the specific health care needs of the community.
- Evaluate and describe community resources available to meet the health care needs of the community and whether they are adequate.
- Analyze the resources and explain how the community nurse can improve and promote healthy behaviors in the community.
- Identify two strategies you can integrate into your nursing practice and explain how those strategies address nursing in a variety of community settings.
- Describe how you can integrate what you learned from the windshield survey into your role as a nurse.
The title page and reference pages do not count as part of the slide limit.
Your final product will be a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation. Your presentation should be approximately 12-15 slides in length and utilize a minimum of 4 peer-reviewed scholarly references. You must also include detailed speaking notes. Write in a concise and organized manner demonstrating ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
You will receive 3 hours towards your 15 hours of clinical experience for this activity. You must accurately record your hours and activity in your clinical log found in the syllabus.
- By the due date assigned, post your assignment to the Submissions Area.
- Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M4_A2.ppt.
|Grading Criteria||Maximum Points|
|Described the community selected for the windshield survey and the rationale for selecting this community.||12|
|Described the various cultural, ethnic, and religious groups observed.||16|
|Identified and explained the specific health care needs of the community.||16|
|Evaluated and described community resources available to meet the health care needs of the community and whether they are adequate.||20|
|Analyzed the resources and explained how the community nurse can improve and promote healthy behaviors in the community.||24|
|Identified two strategies you can integrate into your nursing practice and explained how those strategies address nursing in a variety of community settings.||32|
|Described how you can integrate what you learned from the windshield survey into your role as a nurse.||32|
|Written in a clear, concise, and organized manner; included 12 to 15 slides (excluding title and reference pages); included speaking notes; demonstrated ethical scholarship in appropriate and accurate representation and attribution of sources; and displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Use of scholarly sources aligns with specified assignment requirements.||48|