For this assignment, imagine that you are conducting research for paper you are writing on “growth mindset.” In your research, you found an article from the New York Times and another one from the CHI ’14 Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. Both articles are linked in the Resources. Note: These articles were chosen to provide examples of scholarly and non-scholarly articles and may not be in your field of study.
- Read Rae-Dupree’s 2008 newspaper article, “If You’re Open to Growth, You Tend to Grow” from the New York Times.
- Skim O’Rourke, Haimovitz, Ballwebber, Dweck, and Popovic’s 2014 article, “Brain Points: A Growth Mindset Incentive Structure Boosts Persistence in an Educational Game” from the CHI ’14 Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- Open the Writing and Research Worksheet in the Resources. Using the Writing and Research Worksheet, write two paragraphs answering the following questions: What type of information is included in the scholarly article but not in the newspaper article that provides you with a deeper understanding of the topic? How could the scholarly article be more helpful to you when supporting the arguments?
- Using APA style, cite each article at least once in your response and include a reference citation for the New York Times article at the end. Note: The resources located in [u01s2] Unit 1 Study 2 will help you complete this assignment.
- Save your completed assignment as a Word document to your computer using the following title: u01a1_Your Name.