1. Download and read the attachment, “How to Brief a Case.”
2. Download and read the attachment, U.S. Supreme Court opinion of Masterpiece Cakeshop. This is the case you are briefing.
3. Download, save, and open the attached “311 Case Brief Template” in Word on your computer. Use this to complete your Case Brief of the Masterpiece Cakeshop opinion. The template is formatted for you in Word. (Note: “Word” may say the document cannot be edited. You should be able to simply “click to edit” — or, save the document under a new name, using the naming instructions, and open as a new document.) NOTE: Additional research is not required for this Assignment. It is a summary of the case only.
4. The case citation form you are to use in your Case Brief is:
Masterpiece Cakeshop, Ltd. v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, 138 S.Ct. 1718 (2018).
5. Write this Assignment in your own words! Do not copy and paste multiple blocks from the court opinion or Internet study sources. Turnitin will pick this up if you do.
6. Length: If you use the attached guidance and Template, the brief should be approximately 2 to 3 pages, not including the title page.
7. How to name your document in Word: Use your last name and the Assignment name in the saved document name of your paper in Word. Example: JonesWk3Brief.docx
8. Submit your final document as an attachment to this Assignment.
9. Your paper will go through Turnltln (TII) automatically on submission. You are permitted multiple submissions to assess the TII report. The percentage on this assignment tends to run higher because it is a short paper and student submissions are similar. Check to see what TII flags. Short random phrases and the case citation are not concerns. Whole blocks of flagged text are a problem. If your TII report flags in the “red zone” you must rewrite to bring down the number.
10. Do not attach your Case Brief to the Week 3 Forum!