- Someone said to you: (i.e. my best friend called me to say she is getting a divorce)
- Listening Response 1: (i.e. Evaluating)
- How you would say it: (i.e. “That sounds like a really bad idea. Seems like you are just giving up on your marriage.”)
- Listening Response 2: (i.e. Questioning)
- How you would say it: (i.e. What? Why? Are you sure you guys can’t work it out? Have you considered counseling?”
- Listening Response 3: (i.e. Supporting)
- How you would say it: (i.e. I’m sure this is really hard for you and this hasn’t been an easy road. Even if you’ve been unhappy and you know it’s the right thing to do, it’s a hard thing to have to go through. I’m here for you if you want to talk about it anymore.)
Conclude your assignment with a response to the following questions: What type of response did you use? What did you say, and what effect did it have? Was there a better type of response you could have used? If so, explain.