Seminar #3: Ancient Rome
Respond to the questions below based on both class lecture and outside research from the sources provided. Your responses must answer all questions that are asked and included at least one properly cited quote. Your seminar assignment should be 3-pages double-spaced.
ORDER NOW FOR CUSTOMIZED SOLUTION PAPERS
• Gardner’s Art through the Ages That’s your textbook
• KhanAcademy – www.khanacademy.org
• MET Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History – www.metmuseum.org/toah
• Smarthistory – www.smarthistory.org
1. What is the function of a Roman forum? Describe the plan of the Forum of Trajan including the courtyard, basilica, temples and column. What purpose does the apse serve in a basilica?
2. What is Pax Romana/ Pax Augusta? How does Ara Pacis Augustae (Altar of the Augustan Peace) display the Pax Romana or Pax Augusta? Describe the relief sculpture of the altar to support your argument.
3. What is the function of a triumphal arch? How does the Arch of Titus promote imperial virtues of the Empire and the Emperor? What is the significance of the Apotheosis of Titus in the interior vault of the arch?
4. How did the political situation in third century CE Rome differ from that of the first century CE, and what effect did that have on art? Discuss the two statues, Portrait of Augustus as general, from Primaporta (Augustus Prima Porta) and The Tetrarchs in regards to what has happened to the tradition of Roman Imperial Portraiture.