Risk Management – ACFI5018
Historically, Apple Inc. has been known for being conservative in providing returns to shareholders. However, since 2012, it has been engaged in a Capital Return Programme that has returned over $200bn back to investors. Against increasingly fierce competition in the electronics market, the Apple Board must ensure robust management of business risk if it is to maintain shareholder confidence and continue to deliver enhanced shareholder value to its investors.
Save your time - order a paper!
Part A ( appx. 2000 words)
By effectively utilising your knowledge, experience and further reading around the subject of Risk Management, you are required to:
- 1. Identify, using appropriate models, theories and classifications, the risks that face Applein the foreseeable future. You should be mindful that often, risks also present associated opportunities. Further, you are required to present clear, thoroughly researched and well-articulated arguments of any threats or hazards that Apple may be exposed to in the foreseeable future. Your response should be evidenced with a minimum 25 supporting references.(25 marks)
- 2. Having identified appropriate risks and threats that Apple faces, you are invited to advise the Board of Apple on what steps can be taken in order to manage and mitigate these risks/threats.
In order to ensure a clear and coherent response, you may wish to consider each of the risks in turn before going on to suggest appropriate strategies for managing these risks. (25 marks)
Part B ( appx. 2000 words)
- Semple (2007) states that, “There are considerable benefits in taking time to articulate risk appetite properly” (p25). He goes on to add that, “Different parts of organisations and external stakeholders have different perspectives [on risk appetite]” (p25) and that, “culture, strategy and competitive position all influence risk appetite” (p26).Risk Management – ACFI5018
Therefore, Semple (2007) highlights the importance of risk appetite but, as may be expected, does state that, “Consequently, articulating risk appetite is a complex task………………………” (p25).
- a)In view of Semple’s statements (above) you are required to provide a critical view on whether or not you believe it is desirable, and possible, for a company to effectively articulate its risk appetite.Your discussion should encompass a wide range of literature and should be fully supported by a good deal of academic underpinning (i.e. references). There should be evidence of wide-reading in addition to the article by Semple (2007). (35 marks)
- b)Given your work on the previous tasks you are required to provide a detailed view on the ‘risk appetite’ displayed by Apple Inc. You should provide full support for any assertions that you make with regard to this response. (15 marks)
NB// THE ATTACHED DOCUMENT HAS A DETAILED GUIDELINE ON HOW TO GO ABOUT YOUR ASSIGNMENT
USE CREDIBLE SOURCES, MOST PREFERABLY PDFs FROM RECOGNIZABLE DATABASES
Risk Management – ACFI5018