Researchers were interested in learning the effects of trans fats on levels of cholesterol in the blood. Two different research designs were constructed.
In the between-groups design, researchers were interested in whether cholesterol levels would differ depending on diet. Twenty participants were randomly assigned to one of two different groups. Group A was assigned a diet rich in fruits and vegetables and with no trans fats. Group B participants were asked to follow their normal diets, which contained varying levels of trans fats depending on the individual. After one month, blood samples were drawn and the following levels of cholesterol were obtained:
Get Assignment Writing Help
Our experts are ready to complete your assignment, course work. essay, test, dissertation, research paper, quizGet Started
In the within-subjects design, researchers were interested in whether participants could lower their cholesterol levels by changing from a diet higher in trans fats to one with no trans fats. Ten research participants were selected. A baseline measure of cholesterol was taken from each. They were then put on a diet rich in fruits and vegetables and devoid of trans fats for one month. At the end of that month, blood cholesterol was again measured, and the following results were obtained:
1. In a Microsoft Word document, answer the following questions:
· What is the independent variable in the study for a Between-Subject Design? What are the levels of that independent variable? What is the dependent variable?
· What is the independent variable in the study for a Within-Subject Design? What are the levels of that independent variable? What is the dependent variable?
· Name this document SU_PSY2008_W5_A_ LastName_FirstInitial
2. Based on what you learned in your lecture on Data Files for Between- and Within-Subject Designs , create a data file in Microsoft Excel that will enable you to conduct a between-subject analysis of this data.
· On a separate tab within your Microsoft Excel file (click the + sign at the bottom to create a new worksheet) create a data file that will enable you to conduct a within-subjects’ analysis of this data.
· Name your Microsoft Excel file SU_PSY2008_W5_A_worksheet_LastName_FirstInitial
· Submit both files (1 MS Excel file and 1 Microsoft Word document) to the Submissions Area by the due date assigned.
Stuck with a Question?
Get it solved from our top experts within 8 hrs!Ask Your Question Now!