Interview two helping service professionals from two different settings, such as a school, hospital, or prison. Ensure that at least one of the interviewees is a clinical psychologist.
Provide the name and work environment of the two professionals you interviewed.
Ask the following questions to each of your interviewees:
- In what setting do you practice? How long have you been practicing?
- What are your specialties or areas of clinical focus?
- What are the most common disorders you treat?
- Do you have any special certifications or training beyond your original graduate coursework?
- How do you approach therapy or treatment? Do you use specific modalities, techniques, or interventions?
- What ethical and legal issues do you think are the most challenging or common?
- Do you have an opinion on where you think the field of psychology is heading?
- What do you enjoy most about your work?
- What advice would you provide an aspiring psychologist or therapist?
Discuss, in a 350- to 700-word response, the similarities and differences of how these professionals approach treatment in their settings.
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines.
Professional Interview and Response Guidelines
The following guidelines must be followed when completing the Professional Interview and Response assignment due in Week Four.
Accepted modes of interview:
- In person
- Other Internet medium
Possible methods of interviewee selection:
- Word of mouth
- Personal association
- Internet search
- Print media or other advertisement
Accepted interviewee criteria:
- One of the interviewees must be a licensed clinical psychologist who has been active in his or her practice longer than 5 years.
- The second interviewee may be licensed or license-eligible in a profession that provides mental health services. This interviewee must not be a student in a graduate program. The following is a list of potential interviewees:
o Drug and alcohol counselors
o Clinical social workers
o Licensed professional counselors
o Marriage and family therapists
o Psychiatric nurse
o Psychological assistant
Things to communicate to the interviewee:
- You are enrolled in a University of Phoenix degree program.
- The purpose of the interview is for an assignment.
- Information will only be used for academic purposes.
- Confidentiality is not guaranteed—the results of the interview will be posted and housed on a University of Phoenix database.
- The interview will take approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- The student is not expected to pay for the interviewee’s time. If a potential interviewee asks for compensation, the student has the option to select another candidate.
- The student does not have to disclose personal information to the interviewee. The purpose of this contact is limited to the assignment.