In an academic discussion applying your understanding to your allocated case, respond to the following criteria:
- Fundamentals of Care:
- Fundamentals of Care – Relational:
- Discuss why it is important to establish a professional nurse-patient relationship with your patient.
- Discuss FOUR strategies you could use to establish a therapeutic relationship with your patient. Support this discussion with evidence-based rationales for each strategy.
- Fundamentals of Care – Physical:
Discuss the role of the nurse in providing care to your case study patient, supported with evidence-based rationales informed by anatomy, physiology and/ or pathophysiology in addressing ONE of the following patient needs:
? Personal cleansing (hygiene) and dressing (include oral, mouth care) and dressing
? Comfort (pain management, positioning)
? Safety (risk assessment, infection prevention, minimising complications)
- Psychosocial fundamentals of care:
Discuss the role of the nurse in providing care to your case study patient, supported with evidence-based rationales to meet ONE (1) of the following needs:
? Having values and beliefs considered and respected
- ISBAR handover:
- Drawing upon your discussion in PART 1 of this assessment, develop an ISBAR handover of your case study patient:
Scenario – Mrs Ida Smith
- Date of birth: 2/02/1933
- Patient Unit Record Number: 654321
- Lives alone in a two-bedroom unit, retired retail manager.
- Husband passed away 3 years ago
- Children – two daughters – one lives interstate (Megan) the other (Susan) lives nearby and calls in several times a week
- Pets – 4-year-old spaniel called Sophie.
- Admitted two days ago following fall at home in her bathroom.
- Diagnosis – proximal humerus fracture (right), arm in a sling and experiencing sharp pain on movement – ordered Panadeine Forte 6hrly PRN.
- To see physio today to begin passive arm exercises and increase mobility
- Medical history – osteoporosis and takes Fosamax