It is important for the nurse to identify a clinical practice based problem/topic amenable to interventions based upon evidence. This is the next step to build upon the PICOT question established in Week 1
It is important for the nurse to identify a clinical practice based problem/topic amenable to interventions based upon evidence. This is the next step to build upon the PICOT question established in Week 1. Nurses must also evaluate interdisciplinary evidence for translation into practice.
For this assignment develop a scholarly paper that includes the following criteria:
1. Describe the clinical practice based problem/topic in the PICOT question and include:
Population of interest
2. Search the literature for four (4) evidence-based interventions on the problem/topic of interest. The literature can be individual studies or systematic reviews. A systematic review counts as one (1) intervention. If using a systematic review, report on the review, not on the studies identified in the review. The studies must be within the discipline of nursing (not medicine). All the studies MUST be intervention studies. Review what constitutes an intervention study.
Identify the databases ( CINAHL, Medline) and key terms used in initiating the collective search for all of the studies (not each study)
Analyze the evidence in each of the four (4) studies utilizing the Rating System for the Hierarchy of Evidence (Levels I-VII) and provide rationale.
3. Write the PICOT question in sentence form using the intervention format. The question must reflect an issue or intervention within the discipline of nursing (not medicine). This means the question must be about something nurses have authority over, not something that is prescribed and/or carried out by physicians or another discipline. Interdisciplinary interventions are encouraged. An example of a PICOT Question and PICOT template can be found on Appendix A or the accompanying Melynk & Fineout-Overholt (2014) 3rd edition text online. Describe each of the PICOT components in the question.
P = Population who does this problem primarily effect ( Nurses, patients, families, etc.)?
I = Intervention or issue interest what is the proposed intervention identified in the literature as best practice?
C = Comparison intervention or comparison group what is the current practice? Compare the best practice intervention identified in the literature with the current practice.
O = Outcome how would you determine if the change/implementation has been effective?
T = Time how long would the new change/intervention need to be in effect before you anticipate evaluating the outcome?
4. Based on the literature search presented in this assignment, analyze how the evidence supports or does not support the PICOT question. If the evidence does not support the implementation of the intervention, describe what would be the next step in the evidence-based practice process.
5. Include level 1 and level 2 headings, an introductory paragraph, purpose statement and a conclusion.
6. Write the paper in third person, not first person (meaning do not use we or I).
7. Four (4) references from professional peer-reviewed nursing journals to support the paper. References should be from scholarly peer-reviewed journals (review in Ulrich Periodical Directory) and be less than five (5) years old.
8. APA 6th edition format is required (attention to spelling/grammar, a title page, a reference page, and in-text citations).
9. Please be sure to review the originality report and make any needed changes.
10. Submit to the assignment drop box by the posted due date.
The post It is important for the nurse to identify a clinical practice based problem/topic amenable to interventions based upon evidence. This is the next step to build upon the PICOT question established in Week 1 appeared first on My Nursing Paper.