Empirical research focuses on the study based on observation and measurement of phenomena. The information under this research is based on real-life experience. Most important elements of this research are:
- A question for which you conduct research.
- Approach to make the planned design as per your question and try to gather information from credible resources.
- Time to collect primary data for further observation.
- Use a correct methodology to gather and analyze the data using a survey or an experiment.
- Create a sample via limiting the data to a specific group, area or time.
- Reliability in which you recreate the study and test the outcomes.
- Generalization reflects discoveries to a larger sample and other circumstances.
Descriptive research explains the characteristics of a phenomenon or the population that needs to be discussed. This research also focuses on the detailed nature of the demographics without answering the reasons why the phenomenon occurs. In this research, quantifiable information uses statistically analyze the target audience or a specific subject. Thus, this research is not experimental. Besides, it focuses on correlational or observational data.
Characteristics of Descriptive Research
This research method works on the theory of research question, designing, and data observation responsible for gathering information on a topic. It has some distinctive characteristics which explained below:
- Quantitative research: It is a quantitative research method used to collect quantifiable information for statistical observation of the population sample. Using this market research method, you can collect and explore the nature of the demographic segment.
- Uncontrolled variables: In descriptive research, observational methods are used to conduct the research in which none of the variables are influenced.
- Cross-sectional readings: Using a cross-sectional study, you could explore the different sections (belongs to the same group) under this method.
- Support further research: Whatever the data gathered under this method that can be used for further research using other research practices.
This research method focuses on the facts or information that are already available to make a critical evaluation of the topic. With this method, the researcher could understand and explain the complex phenomenon using an in-depth study. It is primarily focused on hypothesis testing, specifying, and interpreting relationships.
Subdivision of analytical research
- Historical research: This research allows users to get the origin and development of a phenomenon on the bases of past records. It also helps the researcher to discover the inclinations in the past and understand the current information. It also allows us to anticipate future findings.
- Philosophical research: This method of research discovers the fundamentals of knowledge, reality, and existence.
- Review: This research concentrates on the formal assessment of the topic and also allows to make changes if needed.
- Research synthesis or meta-analysis: In this method, two or more research studies are processed to summarize the facts regarding a specific question.