PICOT QUESTION: In adult patients hospitalized in a long term acute facility, how does the use of a nurse driven protocol for evaluating the appropriateness of short term urethral catheter continuation or removal?
Assignment: Comprehensively discuss the components of an answerable, searchable question which uses the PICOT format. Discuss the benefits of using the PICOT question format as the first step of the evidence- based practice process. Develop one PICO(T) question related to either the practice problem identified last week or another nursing problem. The PICO(T) question must be one that is appropriate for a nursing intervention. For the purposes of this assignment a nursing intervention is an independent nursing strategy which does not require an order from another health care provider and is intended to produce a patient outcome or improve the work life of nurses. State the PICO(T) question. Conduct a bibliographic database search and find two articles that are reports of individual quantitative research studies that investigate the same intervention and outcome as mentioned in your PICO(T) question. Discuss the databases, keywords and search strategy you used for your bibliographic search.
For each article, provide the following information:
· Citation in the format used for the reference list when using APA format (sixth edition).
· Permalink to article
· Name of conceptual framework – if none used state that
· Name of research design
· Sample characteristics
· Sample size
· Outcome variable studied with method of measurement
· Intervention studied with method of measurement
Be sure to include the following required elements: –
· Comprehensive discussion of the components of a PICOT question
· Comprehensive discussion of the benefits of using a PICOT question format for step one of the evidence-based practice process.
· Peer reviewed articles in addition to the required readings are cited to support the discussion of PICOT questions.
· The PICOT question is clearly and concisely stated.
· The PICO(T) question clearly identifies an appropriately specific patient population.
· A nursing intervention of interest is clearly stated in the PICO(T) question.
· A comparison intervention is clearly stated in the PICO(T) question.
· The outcome of interest is clearly stated in the PICO(T) question.
· The time involved for the intervention to demonstrate the desired outcome is clearly stated in the PICOT question and appropriate.
· The databases used for the study are identified
· The keywords used for search are identified
· The search strategy is discussed
· Both articles are reports of individual quantitative studies
· Articles are both listed in APA format with no errors
· Permalink to both articles is given
· Conceptual framework for both articles is identified or listed as none used
· Name of research design is correctly identified for both articles
· Sample characteristics are identified for both articles
· Sample size is given for both articles
· Outcomes studied are identified for both articles
· Intervention studied are identified for both articles