Assignment 1: Supportive Psychotherapy Versus Interpersonal Psychotherapy
Although supportive psychotherapy and interpersonal psychotherapy share some similarities, these therapeutic approaches have many differences. When assessing clients and selecting therapies, it is important to recognize these differences and how they may impact your clients. For this Assignment, as you compare supportive and interpersonal psychotherapy, consider which therapeutic approach you might use with your clients.
- Compare supportive psychotherapy and interpersonal psychotherapy
- Recommend therapeutic approaches for clients presenting for psychotherapy
- Review the media in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Reflect on supportive and interpersonal psychotherapeutic approaches.
In a 1- to 2-page paper, address the following:
- Briefly describe how supportive and interpersonal psychotherapies are similar.
- Explain at least three differences between these therapies. Include how these differences might impact your practice as a mental health counselor.
- Explain which therapeutic approach you might use with clients and why. Support your approach with evidence-based literature.
Note: The School of Nursing requires that all papers submitted include a title page, introduction, summary, and references.