Chronic Disease Presentation
Consider the following scenario:
Due to an increase in chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease and cancer death in the United States, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Food & Drug Administration (FDA), and the National Cancer Institute (NCI) have formed a joint task force and has tasked you with developing an educational presentation on one of these topics to share with your community. Due to the public’s lack of knowledge on these topics, it is your job to create a presentation that is informative and educational regarding your chosen topic.
Research your topic using online sources such as the FDA, CDC, NCI, and local sources for content on your topic for this presentation.
Choose ONE of the following topics:
- Coronary artery disease
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Kidney disease
- Breast Cancer
- Lung cancer
Create a 15- to 18-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation with appropriate images to be presented to your community.
Include the following points:
- Provide a brief background on your chosen disease. Explain the disease.
- What are the risk factors, both modifiable and non-modifiable? Identify how this disease develops (is it sudden or progress through stages).
- What are the symptoms of the disease?
- Identify ways of preventing this disease.
- How could a fitness or exercise program, if any, help prevent this disease?
- Identify the nutritional needs of the individual with this disease, as well as what their diet should be to meet the nutritional needs. Discuss both in terms of how it can be prevented with diet and treated with diet.
- Explain how to treat this disease using conventional medicine and complementary and alternative medicine (CAM), otherwise known as holistic medicine. Discuss how conventional and CAM can be used to treat the disease. Which aspects of CAM are used in this particular chronic disease? Can CAM be used as a preventive measure? How?
- Make recommendations for where your audience might search for more information regarding this disease. Make sure these are credible sources (e.g. not Wikipedia). Explain how to determine credible surces.
- For Local Campus students, these are oral presentations accompanied by Microsoft®PowerPoint® presentations.
- For Online students, the speaker notes are your presentation. Make sure they clearly discuss the bullet points on the slide. Proofread for spelling, grammar, and punctuation. You can also create a viirtual presentation c with audio files connected to each slide.
Cite at least 2 peer-reviewed articles in addition to the textbook.
Format the presentation consistent with APA guidelines. Make sure you include a title slide, introduction and conclusion.
Infectious Disease Paper
Choose an infectious disease that is currently a human health risk.
Research your topic using online sources such as the NIH, CDC, and WHO.
Write a paper of at least 600 words on the disease. You are getting the word out to your chosen audience. Answer the following questions:
- What is an infectious disease?
- Which infectious disease did you select. Define the disease you selected.
- Describe the cause (name of the pathogen involved in the disease) and symptoms of the disease.
- Which populations are most susceptible to infection? How is the disease transmitted?
- Is there a vaccine or treatment available for the disease? How is it treated?
- Is the disease new or has it occurred in the past? Provide a brief history of this infectious disease.
- Does the disease present a significant problem for the human population globally, or is it localized?
Format the paper consistent with APA guidelines. Make sure you have an introduction and a conclusion.
Include at least 1 peer-reviewed article to support the discussion in addition to the textbook.