Chapter 2. The Organizational Context: Strategy, Structure, and Culture
Overview:Projects are the tools organizations use to implement change. The most valuable changes are aligned with the corporate strategy and achieve strategic objectives. Internal and external groups impacted by changes are project stakeholders. Identifying and managing project stakeholders is extremely important. Organizational structure and culture are also presented in chapter two, as they have an impact on project management. Organizational structure may be functional, project, or matrix. Each has strengths and weaknesses. Similarly, organizations may or may not have a formal project management office (PMO). The three types of PMOs are the weather station, the control tower, and the resource pool, each with strengths and weaknesses. Finally, corporate culture influences the attitudes and values of employees and how they interact with each other.
- Understand how effective project management contributes to achieving strategic objectives.
- Recognize three components of the corporate strategy model: formulation, implementation, and evaluation.
- See the importance of identifying critical project stakeholders and managing them within the context of project development.
- Recognize the strengths and weaknesses of three basic forms of organizational structure and their implications for managing projects.
- Identify the characteristics of three forms of a project management office (P M O).
- Understand key concepts of corporate culture and how cultures are formed.
Reflect on the assigned readings for the week. Identify what you thought was the most important concept(s), method(s), term(s), and/or any other thing that you felt was worthy of your understanding.
Also, provide a graduate-level response to each of the following questions:
- Compare and contrast the organizational cultures at Amazon and Google. Imagine if you were in charge of a project team at both companies. How might your approach to managing a project, developing your team, and coordinating with different functional departments differ at the two firms?
[Your post should be based upon the assigned reading for the week, so the textbook should be a source listed in your reference section and cited within the body of the text. Other sources are not required but feel free to use them if they aid in your discussion]. [Your post should be at least 500+ words and in APA format (including Times New Roman with font size 12 and double spaced). Post the actual body of your paper in the discussion thread then attach a Word version of the paper for APA review]