Communications Term Paper Assignment
FOLLOW ALL DIRECTIONS/INSTRUCTIONS/REQUIREMENTS. NO PLAGERISM OF ANY SORT.
In this 10 page (including a title page and a works cited page) paper, you will apply your knowledge of basic communication terms to an analysis of a film. In general, you will:
- Select a primary communication context (e.g., interpersonal communication.) that is reflected in a particular film of your choosing. Also, you will use several, specific terms (e.g., self-disclosure, relational dialectics, stages of relational development, etc.) that are related to your communication context.
- Conduct scholarly research in order to fully understand your chosen context. In other words, you will find journal articles and use your textbook to help you understand and apply course terms in your paper. This becomes the evidence for your paper.
- Lastly, you will define and explain the terms, and analyze how they are presented in the film. In addition, you will cite your journal articles and your textbook within your paper as evidence and support of your ideas.
- Please note that I must submit two copies, one copy to the professor and a second copy to turnitin.com so ****ABSOLUTELY NO PLAGIARISM TOLERATED.****
THE PAPER MUST BE WRITTEN IN APA FORMAT
*****TEXTBOOK TO CITE SOURCES FROM:*****
Wood, J. (2015). Communication mosaics: An introduction to the field of communication (8thed.). Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.
****Make sure that you have a clear thesis in your introduction that guides the discussion in the body of your analysis. You should only include terms in your analysis that are clearly tied to your thesis and the theme for your paper. Do not just talk about any terms from the book that you see in the film. Make sure that all the terms you use are all clearly connected to each other and unified under a central theme.****
VERY IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS/REQUIRMENTS:
1. Paper needs least5 references are utilized (textbook, film, 3 journal articles); all references are from appropriate Communication-based sources; relevant quotations and references to the textbook or journals are well-chosen and well-integrated into the text of the paper; all sources are referenced correctly using APA style.
2. Presents at least 8 significant course concepts (bold-faced terms in textbook) and discusses them with substantial accuracy and depth; all concepts selected are shown to be clearly related to paper topic.
**Your main goal in this paper is to apply communication terms to
a film in order to demonstrate your understanding of these terms.**
Section-by-Section Instructions (follow these instructions closely!):
1. First paragraph
- Begin with a few general statements about ideas relevant to your paper, such as a few statements about communication, relationships, conflict, public speaking, organizations, etc. Whatever your paper’s topic, lead into it for the reader.
- Indicate the film that you will analyze.
- Next, clearly explain your goals for this paper. In other words, what is this paper’s thesis? What is the purpose of this paper? What will it accomplish? What will your paper explain and illustrate about the communication seen in this film?
- End your introduction with a preview of the main points of your paper. Your main points will be the terms that you will apply and analyze in the film.
2. Second paragraph – briefly summarize the film (about 4-5 sentences)
Body (For each paragraph in the Body, do these in this order):
1. Define and explain one or several terms that you have researched fully. As you define your terms, be sure to cite evidence (quote) from your textbook and your journal articles.
- Describe how the term is demonstrated in your film. For example, here is where you explain how the characters in your film demonstrate “depth of self-disclosure,” “conflict,” “groupthink,” or some other term. Be sure to provide examples from the film, and be sure to explain yourself fully. This becomes your analysis of their communication.
- Use a transition to move the reader to your next paragraph.
- Repeat these steps until you have enough content to meet the assignment guidelines for the page requirement.
- HINT: Try organizing your paper chronologically to match the order of the film.
- Provide a summary of the main points of your paper.
- Close your paper with a few comments on the importance of competent communication.
Title Page Instructions:
Please note that an abstract is NOT required for this assignment but a title page, in appropriate APA style, is. Your title page should include the following information:
Title of Your Paper (Be Creative! “Term Paper” is not an acceptable title.)
Your School (SBCC)
Your Class (COMM 101)
Date (The date the paper is submitted)
SOME OPTIONS FOR TOPICS TO WRITE ABOUT:
|Mediated communicationCommunications MediaMotion PicturesPrinted Communications MediaRadioTelevisionAdvertisingMarketingPolitical communicationElectioneeringPolitical oratoryCampaign debatesPolitics, practicalSmall GroupsDiscussionGroup discussionForumsTeamsCross-functional teamsHealth care teamsSports teamsTeaching teams.Work teamsListeningAuditory perceptionSpeech perceptionNonverbal communication.SpaceTouchSilenceEye ContactIntercultural communicationCross cultural communication.AcculturationEthnologyPersonality and cultureCommunication – Research and methodologyStatistical communication theory.||LeadershipLeadershipCivic leadersCommunity leadershipDiscussionPersuasionPersuasion (psychology)Persuasion (rhetoric)CredibilityVerbal messagesOral communicationVerbal behaviorVerbal abilityBusiness communicationCommunication in management.Communication in marketing.Communication in organizations.Reference books – Business communication – Bibliography.InterviewsJob Applicant InterviewsNegotiationCommunication and HealthMedicine — Communication systems.Communication in medicine.Mentally handicapped children — Means of communication.Deaf – Means of communication.Health risk communication — United States.Interpersonal communicationDeceptionFriendshipInterpersonal attractionInterpersonal communicationOral communicationPerceptionSelfSelf-disclosureSelf-esteemSelf-perceptionSexual attractionSocial perception||ConflictInterpersonal conflictSocial conflictConflict managementConflict (psychology)Public SpeakingCommunication — Audio-visual aids.Oral communication — Philosophy.Oral communication — Psychological aspectsRhetoricCommunication apprehensionAnxietyBashfulnessInterpersonal communicationPolitical communicationCommunication — Political aspects.Miscellaneous communication topicsCommunication — Moral and ethical aspects.Human-animal communicationCommunication — Religious aspectsCommunication — Social aspects.Communication — Technological innovations.Communication in architectural design.Communication in literature.Communication in politics.Content analysis (Communication)Speech Communication Association.Visual communication.Communication and GenderWomen — Communication.Communication — Sex differences.Sex roleSexismSocial roleSex differences (psychology)|