Application Exercises | Graded Assignment
Chapter 15 Application Exercises 1, 2, 3, and 4
- Go to DSMO website at http://www.hipaa-dsmo.org (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Review the changes that have been requested in transaction standards. Click on one of the active change requests. Review the details and determine which HIPAA transaction standard is affected by the request and which DSMO has expressed interest.
- Visit the HL7 website (http://www.hl7.org) and locate information on Version 3. Write a brief report on the reference information model and the requirements for vocabularies.
- Locate federal regulations for either the Meaningful Use standards and certification program (42 CFR 170) or for HIPAA transactions and code sets. Write a brief report on recent changes to these regulations.
- Work with a small team; identify a task that could be done more effectively using data exchange standards. Describe how the task is performed today, and how data exchange standards today make this task more efficient. Identify the information systems that are involved. Research the existing standards that could be used to solve this problem. Discover whether anyone is currently working on this problem. Report in your findings. Extra credit: Submit a proposal to a standards or profiling body to develop the use case into a solution.
Chapter 16 Application Exercises 1, 2, and 3
- Search the internet and identify the vocabulary standards that ONC adopted and against which EHRs must be tested for certification to meet meaningful use criteria. Next access the NLM website (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. and locate the information on UMLS metathesaurus source vocabularies (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Develop a table or grid comparing the vocabularies required by ONC and the terminologies required for administrative transactions under HIPAA.
- Using PHIN VADS, locate the value sets associated with National Healthcare Safety Network Healthcare Associated Infection (HAI). Find the value set for type of adverse reactions to an immunization. Write a report identifying the contents of the value set.
- Using an Internet search engine, access and listen to the CTS2 in action audio (https://wiki.nci.nih.gov/display/LexEVS/Common+Terminology+Services+Release+2+%28CTS2%29+In+Action (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.). Write a report describing the different ways in which CTS2 can be used.
- You have the choice to write a two-page paper, double spaced, or create a multimedia presentation to respond to the exercises
- Clearly label your response to each exercise in your submission