THE EXPERIEN IS THE Carnival in Rio de Janiero
After selecting and experiencing a cultural event, you will write a four-page paper that relates it to what you have learned about ideas, culture, and the arts in humanities. You are strongly encouraged to attend a cultural event in person, but if you are unable to do so, you may experience an event through available forms of media, such as a learning-based television program or Internet video. (It is important to see and hear the event, so please do not simply read an article about it!)
What is the definition of a cultural event?
Cultural events include performances or displays of artistic expression, but those are not the only kinds of cultural events. Cultural events could include family customs or religious ceremonies, but you are strongly encouraged to seek an event representing a culture different from your own. Listed below are some examples, and if you are in doubt about whether the event will be suitable, please consult with your faculty member.
Cultural events may include but are not limited to:
- A visit to an art museum (Some museums have virtual tours online, so look for one if you are unable to physically visit an art museum.)
- A cultural celebration in its own setting (i.e., Carnival in Rio de Janiero or The Hogbetsotso Festival in Ghana)
- A church service or other religious ritual
- Forms of entertainment that are representative of a particular culture, such as flamenco dancing or a sitar concert
For your chosen cultural event, please consider the following as you write your paper. You should refer to and cite credible sources to address some of these questions.
- Identify the cultural event. What is it? How did you “experience” it? Did you attend in person or watch it online?
- Describe the cultural event as it reflects the culture of origin. Consider the ideas, beliefs, and practices of the people.
- What is the history of the cultural event? Consider the historical context, the events or opinions that surrounded the origination of the event and the era in which it began.
- Has the cultural event changed since it began?
- What similarities does this event have to at least one other cultural event in another part of the world? Provide an example and explain how they are similar and how they differ.
- Has this cultural event been influenced by other cultures? If so, explain.
- Has this cultural event influenced other cultures? If so, explain.
- APA format and documentation required. (Note: An abstract is not required for this paper.)
- Paper must be typed, double-spaced on standard-sized paper (8.5″ x 11″) with 1″ margins on all sides.
- APA recommends using 12 pt. Times New Roman font.
- Paper should be around 4 pages in length (not including the title and reference page).
- At least 3 resources are required.
Please see the Cultural Understanding Rubric for more details about how your paper will be graded.